Sunday, July 1, 2007

Back-to-Back Retro - Rewind to Early 90s Hip Hop & R&B

Let's start the week right with another old school mix of early 90s hip hop, r&b and new jack swing. When I was in the US around that time, I remember walking around downtown LA when I first heard the song "Tom's Diner" by DNA feat Suzanne Vega from Power 106 FM. I remember hearing the song for the first time and the beats and lyrics blew me out. This got me hooked to this local LA station while there and even recorded the programs in cassettes so I could have my friends listen to them when I come back home. The music played were mostly HipHop and R&B stuff so this got me back into this kind of music after graduating from 80s New Wave.

That time, Bobby Brown, Bell Biv Devoe, Eric B and Rakim, Tony Toni Tone, and Arrested Development were at the top of the charts. Even Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer had a short, but sweet taste of stardom. Will Smith was just starting as The Fresh Prince with DJ Jazzy Jeff and also had a number of hits.

Coming back to Manila, 99.5 RT became my favorite radio station because it had a live feed of Rick Dees Weekly Top 40 (a weekly countdown of top hits) direct from the US. Here, I was kept updated with the latest hits from abroad. Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack" became an instant favorite of mine and I can't remember if it reached number 1 in Rick Dees' countdown.

For today's mix upload, I've compiled some of the best hits from this era (most of them my favorites). If you're into early 90s hip-hop, R&B and New Jack, you would definitely enjoy this.

Tracklisting:
1) Tell Me That You Wait - Culture Beat (Extended Mix)
2) Deep - East 17 (The Beatmeister Remix)
3) Paid In Full - Eric B and Rakim (The Beatmeister Remix) - my all time favorite rap tune
4) People Everyday - Arrested Development (Wicked Mix)
5) Rump Shaker - Wrecks N Effects (Remix)
6) Hawaiian Sophie - The Jaz (feat. Jay-Z) (Sophie Mix)
7) Hypnotize - Notorious B.I.G. (Funky Mix)
8) Return Of The Mack - Mark Morrison (Wicked Mix) - r&b at its best
9) Friends - Whodini (Ultimix)
10) My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me - Ghetto Boys (Wicked Mix)
11) Jazzie's Groove - Soul II Soul
12) That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson (Wicked Mix)
13) Sensitivity - Ralph Tresvant (Extended Version) - he's better after New Edition
14) Every Little Step - Bobby Brown (Remix)
15) Humpty Dance - Digital Underground (Ultimix)
16) Hip Hop Horray - Naughty By Nature (Discotech Remix)
17) Tom's Diner - DNA feat. Suzanne Vega (Rap Remix)
18) I Missed The Bus - Kris Kross
19) Jump Around - House of Pain (Remix)

Here's the link... http://www.zshare.net/audio/25221916cfc243/

As always, enjoy the music and keep 'em comments and messages comin'. I really appreciate them!

:)

No comments: