Monday, June 9, 2008

Kill The DJ - A Disco Punk Mix


Nope, I'm not getting violent here, hehe. I just got inspired by Spazzkid's and Eggboy's mixtapes that I've decided to make one of my own, similar to the sets that they do; a little bit of indiepop and discopunk, with a touch of that low-fi sound and a bit of breaks and old school 80s new wave all in one mix.

Most of these bands that I've featured for today's mix have a thing in common; that very recognizable synth sound and the ability to create that dance music atmosphere in the absence of the traditional DJ setup.

Included on today's set is another promising Pinoy band, Taken By Cars, which started indie, but is slowly, but surely making it to mainstream with their melodic, dancey, 80s-inspired sound. Ironically, the band is comprised of four young individuals, but their style is very reminiscent to that female-led 80s goth band, Siouxsie & The Banshees. This mix kicks off with two of their most popular tunes, "A Weeknight Memoir" and the very catchy "Uh Oh."

More disco punk tunes follow via Bloc Party, Death From Above 1979, The Bravery, The Killers, and The Strokes. Have also inserted a surprise 80s track from my fave Robert Smith-led goth band, "The Cure."

Also in the mix is an original track from the collaboration of Eggboy & Spazzkid called "Running Off," which I enjoyed very much and that cool track from Diego's band "Pedicab," called "Dizzyboy", which I personally remixed myself for that added flava.

Tracklist:
1) A Weeknight Memoir (In High Definition) - Taken By Cars
2) Uh Oh - Taken By Cars
3) Banquet (Phones Disco Edit) - Bloc Party


4) Dizzy Boy (The Beatmeister's Remix) - Pedicab
5) Romantic Rights (Erol Alkan's Remix) - Death From Above 1979
6) Honest Mistake - The Bravery
7) Shadowplay - The Killers
8) In Between Days - The Cure
9) Juicebox - The Strokes

10) Running Off - Eggboy vs. Cocolulu (Spazzkid) - enjoyed this lo-fi track very much!; great job guys.

11) The Perfect Drug (Meat Beat Manifesto Mix) - Nine Inch Nails



This is cutting edge dance music! Consider this as my sequel to that 80s slam dance mix, which I've posted just last month. :D

No comments: